[lbo-talk] tablet idiocracy

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 5 06:04:44 PST 2013

Some time ago I caved in and decided to get a tablet. The main appeal was a bigger screen, as I hate reading emails on a little dinky phone, let alone trying to reply to them. So as an email reading device and a Kindle replacement, the tablet seems to be working OK - not a replacement for a PC of course, but OK for quick checking the email or the weather or reading an e-book. However, I recently tested some of the popular games. I started with the all time popular Angry Birds. The idea of shooting bird-shaped objects at pigs using a slingshot seemed appropriate for someone of mental age about 7 - but I can see it can be mildly entertaining for those wanting to kill time on a bus ride from work. However, after about 15 minutes of playing, the game is highly repetitive and utterly boring.

Then I decided a seemingly more "high brow" game advertised as "solving puzzles" (this particular one was 80 days around the world, which I selected for sentimental reasons.) The game has nice graphics, and that is about it. "Puzzle solving" involves swapping two randomly highlighted tiles on a board to align three in a row, which causes them to move. That is it. There does not seem to be any strategy involved, just swiping random tiles. That is even worse than Angry Birds, where I could at least control the trajectory of the shot.

The PC based RPG games involved a lot of skills, mostly dexterity, but skills nonetheless. The PC based strategy games (e.g. Civilization) involved substantial strategy skills - long term planning, balancing conflicting interests, etc. But this whole tablet craze seems a one giant stride toward pointa-clicka-no-thinka idiocracy - especially the scene in which hospital receptionist pushes buttons that show icons of different ailments. Any thoughts?

-- Wojtek