[lbo-talk] occupy-s-89-where-anarchism-shuns-unionists-it-allies-with-the-ultra-right

andie_nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 7 07:55:09 PST 2013

My sister, a union organizer for the carpenter's union who put in years pounding nails, but like me was raised in an upper middle class house and is a petty bourgeois restauranteur (co-owner with her partner--she's a lesbian), a small employer, and an oenophile, has reported to me over the years about intense sexism in the union. It's not just a cultural difference. The conduct she describes is boorish at best and illegal at worst. Although she is left, sister is a Democrat and would view anarchism as even more immature than my political views.

Anarchists have historically opposed unions, or unions that they do not dominate like the IWW, and then tend to view contracts as class collaboration. These days, with formal recognition and contracts so hard to obtain, nonideological working class like WalMart workers have redis overhead the strengths of nonunion noncontract concerted action.

Sent from my iPad