[lbo-talk] Suds for Drugs

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sun Jan 13 08:17:01 PST 2013

On Jan 12, 2013, at 11:54 PM, Jordan Hayes <jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com> wrote:

> Tide detergent: Works on tough stains. Can now also be traded for crack
>
> http://nymag.com/news/features/tide-detergent-drugs-2013-1/
>
> The grocery store, located in suburban Bowie, Maryland, had been robbed repeatedly. But in every incident the only products taken were bottles-many, many bottles-of the liquid laundry detergent Tide. "They were losing $10,000 to $15,000 a month, with people just taking it off the shelves," recalls Sergeant Aubrey Thompson, who heads the team.

I'm totally hooked on the stuff. Only detergent I buy. I'm very brand-loyal to a bunch of P&G products - Crest, Sure, Ivory, and now Gillette. I'm not sure why, but there you go.

Long ago, an old college friend who was then the brand manager for Wisk told me that everyone in the industry thought that Tide was the best - the ingredients are better & more expensive.

It was also from her that I learned that "unscented" products are full of scents to cover up the chemicals. They just create a no-smell impression.

Doug