[lbo-talk] Mass rally against gay marriage held in Paris

Marv Gandall marvgand at gmail.com
Mon Jan 14 06:43:44 PST 2013

On 2013-01-14, at 8:53 AM, Wojtek S wrote:

> http://www.aljazeera.com/news/europe/2013/01/201311363331614743.html
>
> [WS:] I thought the French were more open minded on issues of
> morality. It seems like evidence of utterly detrimental effect of
> religion on human cognitive capacity.

All "the French"?

The report clearly identifies the march as having been organized by "leaders of the centre-right opposition, the Catholic church and France's Muslim community."

I'd be very surprised if the marchers represent the majority opinion in France anymore than they do in the United States.

You're again falling into a trap of your own making, Wojtek: darkly projecting the views of the most backward institutions and their followers on societies which are in the main irreligious and socially liberal, and trending increasingly in that direction.

Nations and nation-states are, and have always been, divided. They don't speak in one voice. They have always been racked by struggle.