[lbo-talk] Swartz was second suicide

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 16 05:55:16 PST 2013

Good luck with that. The push toward privatization/commercialization of research and science has been underway since the 1980s, complete with enabling legislation. Commercialization of academic pubs is just a footnote in that larger trend - and one may add - a necessity in the new brave neoliberal world of research for pay. Journals could not survive without charging user fees, so boycotting them is shooting oneself in the foot.

This kind of reminds me of a slogan prominently displayed on Polish campuses in the Soviet era - "Science in the service of the people." Many academic disliked it, countering that science should be an independent pursuit of truth, not a service to anyone. I wonder what these guys would be saying now, that in the neoliberal model science is in the service of profits. That old slogan looks very nostalgic today.

Wojtek