[lbo-talk] The political consequences of academic paywalls

Jordan Hayes jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com
Fri Jan 18 08:17:42 PST 2013

> You are using wrong reference ...

Am I? :)

> you should not compare today's dissemination technology to
> yesterday's dissemination technology, but today's dissemination
> technology as practiced to that technology's full potential.

I'm saying it has already realized a not-insignificant amount of that potential in a very short time; so where are the results? Or are they forthcoming only when *all* the research is in the Google? Nothing before then?

Just as a throwaway example, there's been a TON of academic research made freely available on the subject of greenhouse gasses ... and yet? Where's the profound political impact? Tell people like Krugman, Delong, et al that freely available academic research on, say, IS-LM has had a profound political impact.

It's not the paywalls that are keeping academic research from having a 'profound political impact' ...

Sure: data wants to be free. But the payoff isn't what was claimed.

/jordan