[lbo-talk] Violent crime and ... leaded gasoline

andie_nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 18 21:08:16 PST 2013

Tetraethyl lead. May well have been patented. Don't know whether or how much the fact might have influenced the choice for lead back when. But choosing ethanol would have required a major, major capital investment, in plants, pipelines, big changes in agricultural policy (ethanol is made from grain). I don't know how that would have compared to the investment that went into,lead. But it seems to be relevant that when they stopped with lead they went to MTBE outside the grain farming sections of the country. If ethanol had been the least cost choice at the time they probably would have gone with it then.

Sent from my iPad