[lbo-talk] obama-puts-wall-streets-worst-nightmare-in-charge-of-sec/

Marv Gandall marvgand at gmail.com
Fri Jan 25 14:37:35 PST 2013

We're in substantial agreement on what you've written below. However, I do think the administration had more latitude, within the framework of the system, to move more boldly after Obama's decisive victory in 2008, with the Republicans and Wall Street being widely held responsible for the financial crisis. The system would actually have benefited from stimulus aimed more directly at job creation, the nationalization and restructuring of big zombie banks, the write-off of principal to clear the housing market, public health insurance, etc. Instead, the clever strategists at the White House facilitated a political recovery by the right and inhibited a more robust economic recovery in an effort to win over "moderate" Republicans and create a permanent DP majority. The 2010 mid-term election which gave the Republicans control of the House was the disenchanted public's reaction to Obama's tepid reformism and failure to make much progress in resolving the jobs, housing, and health care crises. In other words, even from a liberal perspective and taking into account the lack of working class pressure in the streets and workplaces, Obama can be, and has been, properly criticized for not even attempting to deliver a new New Deal in the brief window following the election when the political relationship of forces gave him that opportunity.