[lbo-talk] The French National Front and the future of the eurozone

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 1 07:00:32 PDT 2013

Marv quoted: " If the NF gains power, it could spell the end of the eurozone."

[WS:] I doubt. I am becoming more and more swayed by Carrol's dictum that conventional politics is irrelevant. Or to be more precise, politics today is like a steam locomotive - it can go only where the tracks go and it can travel only in one direction - the one it was set by the turntable. The tracks and the turntable are set by the institutional balance of power and the locomotive engineers can only vary is the speed and use the whistle.

However, it will smash anything that stands in its way.

A change of the ruling party will result mainly in a different use of the whistle, and - to a much more limited extent - in varying the speed at which the whole thing moves in the pre-set direction. It will, however, overrun any obstacle on its tracks. It will continue to be so until there is a sea change in the institutional balance of power that will build new tracks.

-- Wojtek