[lbo-talk] Egyptian presidency rejects army ultimatum calling on Mohammed Morsi to share power

Bill Bartlett william7 at aapt.net.au
Mon Jul 1 21:04:40 PDT 2013

On 02/07/2013, at 1:45 PM, Shane Mage <shmage at pipeline.com> wrote:

> There was nothing "democratic" about Morsi's election. The first round was falsified to present Morsi as the alternative to a Mubarek supporter, so the voters in fact had no choice. The "parliament" was illegal and dissolved. The "constitution" was written by the MB and imposed by plebscite. The most democratic outcome would be the popular overthrow of Morsi's "democratically elected" regime. But a destitution of Morsi followed by military-supervised democratic elections would be second best.

We may well quibble about the definition of "democratic", but the process you describe sounds like the conventional democratic process practiced, for example, in the USA. (Though I'm not sure Americans ever got a plebiscite about their constitution. but that, again, is quibbling.) Anyway, it may not be ideal, but it is "democracy" as we know it.

The point is I guess, Egyptians are new to the idea of democracy. They are having a bit of trouble swallowing the depressing reality of it. Perhaps many would prefer a military dictatorship? (Or "military-supervised democratic elections", as you put it.)

Bill Bartlett Bracknell Tas