[lbo-talk] Hands off my metadata

c b cb31450 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 3 05:07:36 PDT 2013

"With all the recent discussion about Glenn Greenwald, Edward Snowden, and the NSA leaks, I was hit with a surprising feeling of…indifference. As a Patriot Act hating progressive, I was troubled by my own lack of outrage. Don’t get me wrong, I think the NSA surveillance is definitely a case of government overreach and more than a little creepy. Does it bother me less that the program is currently under the Obama administration? I suppose it does. Not because I think I’m an apologist, but because I know he’s not Ted Cruz. Of course, the scary part is that after expanding this program what would it look like under a President Ted Cruz? We aren’t going to have a Democrat in the White House forever. I shudder at the thought. Yet still, I simply can’t bring myself to being up in arms over it. After a considerable amount of reflection,the reason came to me. As a majority in many cases and a plurality in almost all cases, we have already given it away…willingly.

After the shit hit the fan on 9/11, Americans were all too eager to give in to fear, because as Warren Zevon once sang, “You’re a whole different person when you’re scared.” And make no mistake, we were scared. Hell, if you weren’t a little frightened I question your grasp on reality. Unfortunately, that fear took hold at a time when the clown prince of president’s, George W. Bush, was in office. With Cheney and Rumsfeld in tow, 9/11 gave the Bush Administration carte blanche post tragedy."

" Full at: http://thebigslice.org/if-you-want-to-be-angry-about-privacy-then-stop-giving-it-away/

Word. I was like did all these people have amnesia about the Patriot Act ? I assume spooks can almost read my thoughts by now. Since, McCarthyism and before that the Palmer Raids in 1919, we Reds have had to have pure thoughts and actions in the USA.

Charles