[lbo-talk] Ellsberg, Gravel, and West

JOANNA A. 123hop at comcast.net
Thu Jul 4 13:49:28 PDT 2013

I don't think there's a method; I think those were different times, and the publication of the Pentagon papers happened because of mass opposition to the war.

Now they keep the war off TV, the army is a volunteer army of the poor, and there is far less general concern.

But thanks for the link.

Joanna

----- Original Message ----- ``Today, we hear the story from three men at the center of the storm: former Pentagon and RAND Corporation analyst, famed whistleblower, Daniel Ellsberg, who leaked the Pentagon Papers to The New York Times; former Alaskan senator and presidential candidate Mike Gravel, who tells the dramatic story of how he entered the Pentagon Papers into the congressional record and got them to the Beacon Press; finally, Robert West, the former president of the Unitarian Universalist Association.''

http://www.democracynow.org/2013/7/4/how_the_pentagon_papers_came_to

It's worth listening to because it profiles the way to handle state secrets and hopefully win without ending up silenced forever in some dungeon.

CG