[lbo-talk] Interview with Alan Finlayson

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Fri Jul 5 10:40:21 PDT 2013

(a) I don't have any post which gives a source for this interview, and I don't know who Alan Finlayson ia.

(b) Joanna often uses the word "creativity" as something of great value which the schools ought to inculcate in the students. This doesn't make sense to me, and I have one question which might illuminate the discussion. What is the word in classical Greek, classical Latin, Church Latin, Middle English, and any other pre-modern language which can be translated as "creativity"? ("Creative" and "Creativity" are not necessarily related.)

This is only tentative and I'm willing to be persuaded otherwise, but it does not seem to me that "creativity" is an entity like "algebra," "French Grammar," "musical notation," the alphabet, that can be passed on by a teacher (or teachers) to a student. In fact, I am skeptical that the word "creativity" can be defined in any useful way.

Carrol