[lbo-talk] Tim Wise wins it (was loses it)

Jordan Hayes jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com
Tue Jul 9 09:01:09 PDT 2013

>> A 2010 study reported income inequality up fourfold
>> since the Reagan years.

(I, too, would like to find this report)

> That's not mathematically possible. Measured how?
>
> There is now a nontrivial black professional/managerial class.

(I've wondered whether, since a large part of that nontrivial group are government employees (the Federal government as well as the armed forces were early desegregationists), this isn't wrapped up in the whole "government is too big" trope that conservatives have been brining: get rid of the post office, get rid of the IRS ... maybe they just mean "the government is too *black*" ...?)

> Such a thing barely existed just a generation ago. Not everyone
> has taken this on board.

One canary in the coal mine of diversity is young kids; here's three facts from a report I read recently that made me think differently about the issue:

+ In 1970, nearly four out of every five students across the nation were white, but by 2009, just over half were white.

+ Latino enrollment has soared from one-twentieth of U.S. students in 1970 to nearly one-fourth (22.8%). Latino students have become the dominant minority group in the Western half of the country.

+ White students account for just 52% of U.S. first graders, forecasting future change.

They introduce (to me, anyway) the concept of "double segregation" -- by economic class and race, and mention that a key pivot point was not just the Reagan years but a 1991 SCOTUS decision that allowed many places to dismantle their overt desegregation plans (food for thought re: the recent dismantling of Voting Rights Act ... guess what we can look forward to!).

Here's the whole report:

E PLURIBUS. SEPARATION DEEPENING DOUBLE SEGREGATION FOR MORE STUDENTS

Sep 2012, UCLA Civil Rights Project

http://tinyurl.com/mzhcfuu