[lbo-talk] White supremacy (Was Tim Wise…)

Marv Gandall marvgand2 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 9 13:32:57 PDT 2013

On 2013-07-09, at 3:38 PM, Doug Henwood wrote:

>> You don't agree that white supremacy is an ongoing structural feature of US capitalism?
>
> In what sense? Inequality has been increasing, and bad shit has been happening to the below-median portion of the population for decades now. That below-median share is disproportionately black, for sure, but there are plenty of whites and others there too, and attributing the bad shit to "white supremacy" isn't very precise.

I don't think there's any question but that race has shaped US working class history and continues to play an important role in contemporary American politics and society. That's not attributing what you call all the bad shit to its effects. But it does argue against the notion that race has been an outdated concept since 1957 or thereabouts, and for acknowledging that the lowest paid workers are, not coincidentally, black.