[lbo-talk] White Supremacy (was Tim Wise)

c b cb31450 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 10 07:37:31 PDT 2013

^^^^^^^^^^ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/African_American_Vernacular_English

African American Vernacular English
>From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search African American Vernacular English Ebonics Region United States Native speakers no estimate available (date missing) Language family Indo-European

Germanic

West Germanic

Anglo–Frisian

Anglic

English

African American Vernacular English

Language codes ISO 639-3 eng

This article contains IPA phonetic symbols. Without proper rendering support, you may see question marks, boxes, or other symbols instead of Unicode characters. African American topics History[show] Culture[show] Religion[show] Political movements[show] Civic and economic groups[show] Sports[show] Ethnic subdivisions[show] Languages[show] Diaspora[show] Lists[show]

Category: African American

Portal icon African American portal

African American Vernacular English (AAVE)—also called African American English; less precisely Black English, Black Vernacular, Black English Vernacular (BEV), or Black Vernacular English (BVE)—is an African American variety (dialect, ethnolect, and sociolect) of American English. Non-linguists sometimes call it Ebonics (a term that also has other meanings and connotations).

It shares parts of its grammar and phonology with Southern American English, which is spoken by many African Americans and many non-African Americans in the United States. Several creolists, including William Stewart, John Dillard, and John Rickford, argue that AAVE shares so many characteristics with African creole dialects spoken in much of the world that AAVE itself is a creole,[1] while others maintain that there are no significant parallels.[2][3][4][5][6]

As with all linguistic forms, its usage is influenced by age, status, topic, and setting. There are many literary uses of this variety of English, particularly in African-American literature.