[lbo-talk] White Supremacy (was Tim Wise)

Michael Smith mjs at smithbowen.net
Wed Jul 10 09:25:27 PDT 2013

On Wed, 10 Jul 2013 11:43:50 -0400 Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote:

> Ending mass incarceration would be a nice start, yes. And though the
> black rate is horribly high, the white rate is actually several times
> higher than other First World countries too. But otherwise, a basic
> social democratic agenda would also be a nice start - minimum income,
> jobs program, free health care and education, etc.

Which is to say, in effect, that the 'solution' to black/white disparities is a reduction of inequality generally. As it happens, this is precisely my own view of the matter, and one of the reasons why I find harping about racism (or, worse yet, 'structural racism') so tiresome and retro.

But of course everybody agrees that racism is a Bad Thing, so you're not going to make any enemies by beating that particular dead horse. On the other hand, it is most certainly NOT the case that everybody agrees equality would be a Good Thing, and you'll definitely make yourself unpopular advocating it.

-- mjs at smithbowen.net http://stopmebeforeivoteagain.org

Unexpected Bedfellows dept. :

L'athéisme est immoral et aristocratique; l'idée de l'être suprême, et de l'immortalité de l'âme, est un rappel continuel à la justice; elle est donc sociale et républicaine.

-- Robespierre, contra Dawkins et epigg.