[lbo-talk] White Supremacy (was Tim Wise)

Arthur Maisel arthurmaisel at gmail.com
Fri Jul 12 06:05:41 PDT 2013

I think the difficulty in this thread (in its many incarnations) is that the "place" where racism exists has become less accessible to social science and other forms of observation. Compare this with a neurotic who has had lots of therapy and has learned to behave relatively unneuroticly. There's the behavioral argument that as long as the neurotic behaves as if not in the grip of neurosis, what's going on "inside his/her head" doesn't matter at all. Of course, that's highly questionable, e.g., how much physical disease is caused by the stress of being neurotic but behaving as if one isn't?

My point is that the unquestioned acceptance of the ideology of racism, its old form of invisibility---like WS's TB example---has been substantially wiped out. You can't count on universal assent to a remark about "those people" the way you once could---in fact, you can pretty well count on being treated as a pariah. (That noteworthy instance of what they say at the country club when we're not around, Mitt Romney's "47 percent," couldn't possibly have referred to Afrcian Americans alone.)

So everyday ideology (I mean what, for example, the mass media reinforces) has shifted remarkably. But social scientific data points indirectly to the continued existence of racism---with a new form of invisibility, however. Ask a NYPD cop if blacks are more prone to criminality and she/he may well deny it and might even be offended that you would suggest such a thing. But keep a tally of who gets stopped and frisked by that cop and others and you have data that force their superiors to come up with transparently false excuses, such as "the suspect they were looking for was described as black," as if that could account for hundreds of thousands of stops.

One of the sources of the new invisibility is the *mixture* of elements or racism with elements of both economic and social class. Not that class or economic status has replaced race, but that they are now mixed together into something we all evidently have difficulty discussing. (I have in my relatively unscientific mind an image of a physics problem in which the solution is a vector that is the result of a multiplicity of independent forces. So anyone who wants to feel superior to people in the past who seem to have found it so hard to talk sensibly about racism had better check to see that the foot he/she is about to shift weight onto doesn't have a banana peel under it.)