[lbo-talk] White Supremacy (was Tim Wise)

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 12 12:20:51 PDT 2013

Carrol: "I think it is primarily housing patterns (which determines school distribution) and the War on Drugs that are the primary material bases of racist ideology."

[WS:] You are certainly right about housing pattern, but I am not so sure about the two other things.

First, school distribution is not that much of a problem as school curriculum and testing that is geared toward college admission. This has a rather negative effect on many students who for a variety of reasons are not interested in college admission. See my reply to Joanna in this thread.

As to the War on Drugs - drugs are the bane of Black communities. They literally kill these communities, and do it in many nasty ways - from gang wars, to petty crime to finance drug addiction, to drug/alcohol fetal syndromes, to child abuse and neglect, dysfunctional families, violence, and so on. It is a major problem that needs to resolved. Locking up drug dealers may not be an effective strategy in a "war on drugs" but that does not mean that the war should not be fought by alternative means. I am not in favor of this militaristic metaphor, but I do agree with the idea behind it.

What is more, it is not the War on Drugs that fuels racist prejudice but criminality that results from drug abuse. War on Drugs and prejudice are both results of that criminality, not the other way around.

-- Wojtek