[lbo-talk] White Supremacy (was Tim Wise)

shag carpet bomb shag at cleandraws.com
Sat Jul 13 06:04:11 PDT 2013

Yeah, this is excellent. You are the first person I've read who's mentioned this in left circles. I was starting to wonder if I'd made it up or misremembered.

As a side conversation: legalizing drugs is a fantastic idea, as far as I'm concerned, but for the same reasons that the state lotteries contributed to the destruction of an underground economy, that same problem is likely to occur with legalization. I mean, it's not like the kid who gets hired to run drugs is, under legalization, automatically going to find employment in the now legitimate drug market or even be the beneficiary of the taxes that will be levied on those legalized drugs. We would remain living in a racist society in which the benefits of legalization would largely redound to the powerful, with a few crumbs thrown around to make it seem legit.

the mechanisms of racialized oppression would likely just shapeshift as we've seen it do for decades now.