[lbo-talk] zimmerman not guilty

Jordan Hayes jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com
Mon Jul 15 08:49:53 PDT 2013

Doug writes:

> In this case, SYG laws are a horrible problem, and things
> like this will happen over & over again.

Wait, this wasn't a stand-your-ground case, except on the news.

In actual court, the defense was simple self-defense, and probably would have gone the same way it did in most other states (modulo whether Zimmerman would have, say, in New Jersey been carrying a gun at all; but almost all self-defense laws throughout the US make an exception to the violation of a gun law [even the prohibition by felons of possession] in the case of self-defense).

What's more likely is that if Zimmerman had been Black we might never have heard about the case at all, and he would probably have been convicted; I think that's the real story here.

/jordan