[lbo-talk] zimmerman not guilty

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Jul 15 10:02:16 PDT 2013

Marv Gandall:

> *I take it from your comments that the US left should be abstaining from
> the spontaneous protests which have erupted against the Zimmerman acquittal
> because they cannot possibly have any effect on public consciousness.

You take it incorrectly. I understand the reasons for protest completely. But then what? How are protests in New York and Los Angeles going to change Florida law or police practice? How do we get beyond the politics of self-expression and testimony to something that's actually effective? I don't know the answer to this, but I don't see much sign that people are even asking the question.

Doug