[lbo-talk] zimmerman not guilty

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 15 13:12:15 PDT 2013

Surely, I do not have the information that the jury did.

Nonetheless Florida law http://lawofselfdefense.com/statute/fl-776-041%E2%80%83use-of-force-by-aggressor-the-justification-described-in-the-preceding-sections-of-this-chapter-is-not-available-to-a-person-who/

which reads:

The justification described in the preceding sections of this chapter is not available to a person who:

(1) Is attempting to commit, committing, or escaping after the commission of, a forcible felony; or

(2) Initially provokes the use of force against himself or herself, unless:

(a) Such force is so great that the person reasonably believes that he or she is in imminent danger of death or great bodily harm and that he or she has exhausted every reasonable means to escape such danger other than the use of force which is likely to cause death or great bodily harm to the assailant; or

(b) In good faith, the person withdraws from physical contact with the assailant and indicates clearly to the assailant that he or she desires to withdraw and terminate the use of force, but the assailant continues or resumes the use of force.

So it is clear to me that Martin had all reasons to feel threatened when approached by armed Zimmerman and, believing that he was in in imminent danger, attacked Zimmerman.

With this in mind, it is subject to interpretation how you apply this law - who had a greater reason to feel to be imminent danger. This jury decided that it was the white guy challenging the black guy, not the other way around.