[lbo-talk] zimmerman not guilty

Jordan Hayes jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com
Mon Jul 15 16:03:51 PDT 2013

Wojtek writes:

> Being accosted by a threatening looking
> guy at night will do, no?

tl;dr: no.

Again, please look more closely at legal definitions which are not some kind of arbitrary thing made up by a guy at the other end of a keyboard: the principles of self-defense are the codification of thousands of years of practice. You cannot simply attack someone and later claim self-defense unless you've exhausted all of your options.

I don't know what you mean by 'accosted' -- no one presented evidence that Z attacked M, or that Z was even the kind of person who might attack a guy he was following. What we do know is that once the physical part started, Z was no match for M physically. The defense provided physical evidence of the position of the two men when M was shot.

You keep changing your story, and you're down to tiny threads. Under no theory, nor under any evidence collected or presented, can you say that Z was not entitled to the self-defense claim because he provoked the use of force against himself.

What I think happened was that Z bugged M enough that he thought he would simply beat him up, and did not count on the fact that Z had a gun and was able to use it.

People do get beaten to death, you know.

http://www.nbcbayarea.com/investigations/Berkeley-Man-Near-Death-at-the-hands-of-CHP-206494311.html

(random result from searching google for "beaten to death")

/jordan