[lbo-talk] [Pen-l] NYT: Egyptian Liberals Embrace the Military, Brooking No Dissent

ken hanly northsunm at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 17 10:11:21 PDT 2013

 I should have made it clear that I was not contesting the main points the article makes about many Egyptian liberals vis a vis the coup. I thought the article was quite convincing on that issue. I simply meant to point out that many reports make the conflict out to be between the Islamists the army and liberals etc. whereas the Islamists are split. Many radical Islamists are supporting the army transition. The other issue that is often downplayed is that the army coup has allowed many of the old Mubarak supporters to join in against Morsi and support the military.    I can imagine what western media reports would be like if  50 anti-Morsi supporters were shot and killed at a demonstration.

Cheers, ken   Blog: http://kenthink7.blogspot.com/index.html Blog: http://kencan7.blogspot.com/index.html

From: Robert Naiman <naiman at justforeignpolicy.org> To: ken hanly <northsunm at yahoo.com>; Progressive Economics <pen-l at lists.csuchico.edu> Cc: lbo talk <lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org> Sent: Tuesday, July 16, 2013 10:34:04 PM Subject: Re: [Pen-l] NYT: Egyptian Liberals Embrace the Military, Brooking No Dissent

It's true that the Nour Party is supporting the military-appointed transitional government. But I don't see how that fact undermines anything in the NYT piece. It's a description of how Egyptian liberals have changed, and not only how most are supporting the coup, but how most have gone over to a very illiberal point of view more generally: celebrating the military, celebrating repression of the Muslim Brotherhood, denouncing the Muslim Brotherhood as a foreign conspiracy, celebrating the exclusion of the Muslim Brotherhood from politics, etc.

This is a very different vision from January 25.