[lbo-talk] zimmerman not guilty

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 18 04:33:02 PDT 2013

Jordan: "I don't think "stand your ground" means what you think it does."

[WS:] Yes, I do. I was not referring to SYG laws, which as you know were not used in the case being discussed, but to an attitude and a rule of behavior, hence the quotation marks.

As to your question about me being in a situation that I have to stand my ground i.e. being physically attacked the answer is: "with the exception of a few cock fights in my youth - NO because I am reasonably good at avoiding situations that may lead to confrontation and fight."

In my book, there are are many good things in life, but not that many of them are worth fighting for, since most of them can be obtained through peaceful collaboration. So I usually talk to people, sometimes offer them a drink, and sometimes back off to de-escalate potentially conflicting situations. And this served me rather well in my life so far - I have not been physically attacked although sometimes it was a close call. And I did not live a sheltered life either - I traveled around the world, literally, and lived in communities that most Americans are afraid to set their foot in.

Of course, there is always a chance that talking or backing off will not do, but I am yet to encounter such a situation. Quite frankly, my friend, I think such situations are rather rare, and you seem to share that view, based on your other postings. So I do not feel a need to arm myself to teeth, and get paranoid about security to avoid something that is rather rare. As someone observed, you can do many things with bayonets except sitting on them. I'd rather leave an peaceful life than worry about my security. An if it comes to the situation that I really do need weapons and extra security measures to go around my life - I will move to another country.

It is a matter of personal philosophy, which I admit, is very un-American and very non-macho.

-- Wojtek