[lbo-talk] Why Metadata Matters

Bill Bartlett william7 at aapt.net.au
Thu Jul 25 15:08:38 PDT 2013

On 26/07/2013, at 2:35 AM, Wojtek S <wsoko52 at gmail.com> wrote:

> First, information gathering is a non-issue to me.

OK, you are entitled to your opinion, but its part of the English-speaking culture to be suspicious of authority having too much power. Usually with good reason, this is a classic instance.

It seems to me that this particular type of information gathering is akin to the use of a general warrant, which is taboo in English common law for very good reason. I will copy and paste this except from google to try to explain the cultural background:

"For many years, the English government had used a "general warrant" to enforce its laws. These warrants were broad in nature and did not have specifics as to why they were issued or what the arrest was being made for. A general warrant placed almost no limitations on the search or arresting authority of a soldier or sheriff. This concept had become a serious problem when those in power issued general warrants to have their enemies arrested when no wrongdoing had been done. During the mid-18th century, the English government outlawed all general warrants. This study of the history of England made the American Founding Fathers ensure that general warrants would be illegal in the United States as well when the Fourth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution was ratified in 1791."

The problem you see is that when authorities have such wide power, it tends to be used arbitrarily, to persecute people, often those who are a nuisance. Agitators are a regular target for exercise of such arbitrary police powers of course, but also minority groups and anyone who is relatively powerless.

Bill Bartlett Bracknell Tas