[lbo-talk] Debt in rural Botswana

Andy andy274 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 26 20:45:05 PDT 2013

I thought this was interesting in the context of Graeber's Debt -- This is from the memoir of an American who was a science teacher in a rural village in Botswana I think in the mid-90's. He became involved with the daughter of a witch-doctor and eventually married her. The following describes the payment to a witch-doctor from a different family who performed blessings of the kitchen of the house they built:

So the job was done. We respectfully handed over a hundred pula at the time, and more was given later. Some other moneys were owned by his family to our family, and I became unsure how much debt remained. I even got the impression that we weren't truly expected to pay it all, or at least not for years. Everyone seemed both to owe money and to be owed moeny, and I was surprised to learn that these inter-family debts were *not* divisive. Owing someone money didn't cause friction; it had just the opposite effect. These multiple interlocking debts created a network of mutual-dependency that served to unite people.

(Across African Sand by Phil Deutschle)

-- Andy "It's a testament to ketchup that there can be no confusion."