[lbo-talk] Debt in rural Botswana

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 27 08:27:41 PDT 2013

Another anecdote along similar lines. When I was in Nairobi I hired a car to run different errands, since public transit was virtually non-existent.

While running those errands I mentioned to the driver that I would also need a ride to the airport at some later time. He said he would be glad to provide it. When we got back to the hotel I specified the time when he was to pick me up for the airport and wanted to pay him for the day. He replied that I pay him for the whole service at the airport. This surprised me because he had no guarantee that I would not disappear without paying him for the service he had already rendered, which was a non-trivial amount even for me. But then I realized that it was a personal trust culture rather than formal contract culture.

-- Wojtek