[lbo-talk] Why Metadata Matters

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 29 08:57:27 PDT 2013

Bill: "it is simply bizarre that the USA has to give an assurance that the death penalty won't be used against a mere whistle-blower."

[WS:] Not really. It is my understanding that it has to be given in any case involving the possibility of charges that may result in death penalty, e.g. "treason". It certainly sounds bizarre in this case, but the problem is not the particulars of this case, but the fact that the US is one of few developed countries that has death penalty on the book, which complicates extradition.

As to spying - every country does it, the Brits, the French, the Germans, the Israelis, the Chinese, the Russians, and so on. That is the world we live in. The US gets more rap for it simply because of its dominant position and because of being a favorite scapegoat for all kinds of bad things in what used to be known as "third world countries." But let's face it - we are being a primary target of Islamist militants who, unlike national liberation movements in countries like Vietnam or Latin America fighting against US-supported regimes, shy away from military and strategic target and take a perverse pleasure of blowing up innocent civilians. So it is quite understandable that US authorities take steps to prevent and detect this kind of threat. Had they failed to do so, there would be a public outcry and rightfully so. In reality, they are not doing such a great job on spying, as the case of the Boston bomber demonstrates - they got intelligence on him and still dd not catch him.

I may also add, that the main victim of Islamic terrorism is not the military capacity of the US or its allies, but democracy and openness. I can see Saudi Salafists and their proxies being thrilled with this "accomplishment." They do not seem to mind Western military, it is the Western democracy that bothers them - judging from multiple postings on Al Jazeera website.

As to whistle blowing - I think I stated my position rather clearly. I do not support their persecution, but I do not support giving them a blank check either. Laws are there to be followed and those who have a good reason for breaking them must be prepared to defend their action in the court of law, instead of becoming fugitives from justice. And whatever we can say about the US justice system - it is among the most fair systems out there - as far as due process is concerned. We may complain about specific laws, but that is the domain of the Congress not the judicial process. If I read you correctly, you seem to be inclined to give whistlblowers a blank check, which to me is lawlessness - we may as well exonerate all right wing militias and anti-abortion terrorists on these grounds.

-- Wojtek