[lbo-talk] Fwd: [S&S] More on the Brooklyn College CWE

Julio Huato juliohuato at gmail.com
Tue Jul 30 09:06:39 PDT 2013

This adds some more information, from Steve Leberstein, for people to make up their minds on the issue. Full disclosure: I've also taught at the CWE, substituting for David Laibman while he was traveling abroad. I lectured on historical materialism. I liked the students very much, they were very engaged. My direct involvement with the Center is limited to that narrow experience.

Julio

---------- Forwarded message ---------- From: David Laibman <dlaibman at scienceandsociety.com> Date: Tue, Jul 30, 2013 at 9:48 AM Subject: [S&S] More on the Brooklyn College CWE To: scisoc at googlegroups.com

Comrades,

Here is another information piece, by Steve Leberstein. A few small corrections. Manny Ness is Immanuel, not Emmanuel, as I had written earlier. Also, Corey Robin is not the current Pol. Sci. chair, as I wrongly stated; the chair is Paisley Currah. The two of them are, shall I say, on the same page.

I still hope that, after due consideration, you will sign the petition.

All best,

David

=========================================================== Brooklyn College Graduate Center for Worker Education Facts

The Graduate Center for Worker Education has been an off-campus part of Brooklyn College for about 30 years now, established shortly after City College’s undergraduate Center for Worker Education. It is located at 25 Broadway in lower Manhattan in space adjacent to the City College undergraduate program. Its mission, like that of the City College Center, has been to provide New York City workers with a special degree program, a Master of Arts in Political Science with a concentration in Urban Policy & Administration, to meet their needs in terms of services, location, schedule and academic program.

1. Beginning in fall 2011 semester, negative rumors began circulating in the Political Science Department about the program, its instructors, and the students. 2. Almost all the long-serving adjunct faculty were let go for the spring 2012 semester. Union grievances followed. 3. The Center’s director was also removed, reassigned to undergraduate courses on the Midwood campus. Then the Center’s administrator/student advisor was reassigned, as was the Center’s one full-time clerical employee, and then all of the part-time staff were let go. 4. An absentee acting director who had publicly stated his opposition to a graduate program for working people was appointed, and then the long-time deputy chair for the MA program was also reassigned. 5. Admissions to the Center’s program has been severely restricted so that very few students can enter. 6. All other services at the Graduate Center for Worker Education have been curtailed, the number of courses diminished by two-thirds, and such amenities as the water cooler removed. 7. When continuing students complain about the lack of services, college officials claim that “the program is being improved”. “Improvement” means elimination of a vital, healthy program serving the needs of Brooklyn working people striving to prepare for public service in New York.

The Center’s MA program in Political Science has been evaluated at least twice by external evaluators who rated it highly. Graduates have gone on to Ph.D. programs in Political Science, to elective office in NYC, and to jobs in public agencies, labor unions, ngos, and to careers in law. The Center is also home to the journal, Working USA: the Journal of Labor and Society, edited by Manny Ness, who served as deputy department chair for the graduate program until last May, when he was stripped of that post.

July 24, 2013