[lbo-talk] Why Metadata Matters

Andy andy274 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 30 12:06:27 PDT 2013

On Tue, Jul 30, 2013 at 8:31 AM, Wojtek S <wsoko52 at gmail.com> wrote:

> First, private business has been already doing it for years, so the notion
> of privacy is a joke. We have none thanks to advertising industry. So not
> much is lost when government does it. And I trust government far more than
> I trust private business.

The cool thing is that you don't even have to choose one or the other:

http://digbysblog.blogspot.com/2013/07/the-disastrous-rise-of-misplaced-power.html

[...]

Some of the country's most influential venture capitalists and former spy chiefs are investing in companies now providing the government with the sweeping electronic spy system and evolving cyberwarfare programs exposed by Mr. Snowden.

More than 80 companies work with the NSA on cybersecurity and surveillance, according to a recent report in the German magazine Der Spiegel that was based on top secret documents provided by Mr. Snowden. They include firms like the one that employed Mr. Snowden as an infrastructure analyst in Hawaii, Booz Allen Hamilton Inc.,as well as scores of new players.

Last year, venture capitalists pumped about $700 million into security startups, almost a 10th of the estimated market, according to Lawrence Pingree, research director at Gartner Inc., IT +0.88% the U.S. information technology research company.

That's a small part of a broader technology market expected to grow from $67.1 billion this year to more than $93 billion in 2017, he said.

[...]

{WSJ source paywalled}

-- Andy "It's a testament to ketchup that there can be no confusion."