[lbo-talk] The skinny on Egypt

Gar Lipow gar.lipow at gmail.com
Wed Jul 31 16:46:41 PDT 2013

On Mon, Jul 29, 2013 at 9:43 PM, JOANNA A. <123hop at comcast.net> wrote:

> Good interview
>

> http://www.opendemocracy.net/sameh-naguib-rosemary-bechler/egypt%E2%80%99s-long-revolution-knowing-your-enemy

I have to note that she says (in much more depth) many of the same things I said. That Morsi was illegitimate largely for appeasing the military and adapting a full neoliberal agenda, and that the people were right for calling for his overthrow . But she also says that this this coup is not worth supporting, that the military is making things worse and will continue to make things worse. And that the "liberals" who support it are mostly (not entirely, but mostly) of the strongly neoliberal variety. (I agree that "neoliberal" is a bad term - but what is the better alternative term for those want more formal democracy, but also support austerity and suppression of worker rights).