[lbo-talk] Protest in Turkiye

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 4 10:02:26 PDT 2013

I have been following the events in Turkiye on Al Jazeera, and there seem to be two camps of though about what is going on there. On the one hand there are those who support Erdogan's line that this is the opposition and foreign meddling - a "color revolution' orchestrated overseas if you will, and the other camp that this is a genuine mass protest against Erdogan's hard line.

The "color revolution" argument is not without merits (cf Operation Ajax staged by the CIA to oust Mosadddegh http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1953_Iranian_coup_d'%C3%A9tat) but it seems to be supported by Islamist sympathizers and haters of secularism, which makes it suspect if not discredited.

I am more inclined to believe that Erdogan is pulling a Zia ul Haq http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muhammad_Zia-ul-Haq who established islamic law in Pakistan to undermine opposition aligned with Ali Bhutto with support of the Reagan administration. Does anyone have good information on what is going there?

-- Wojtek