[lbo-talk] Framing is everything

Arthur Maisel arthurmaisel at gmail.com
Thu Jun 6 13:10:06 PDT 2013

There is an illegal U-turn on Riverside Drive under the George Washington Bridge in NYC that many people are tempted to make because the exit from the northbound Henry Hudson Parkway puts you on Riverside Drive going south for about half a mile before you can turn north legally. Naturally, it is frequently a place where a cop car sits waiting for someone to make the U-turn.

Once, my wife made the U-turn at the same time as someone else a little further north did, and the cop decided to go after the other car, which was closer to him. As my wife drove past the cop, who was walking toward the other car, she slowed down and gave him a look to ask if he wanted her to stop, too. He smiled and shook his head---his expression seemed to say, "You got luck this time, lady."

Law enforcement is *always* selective. And selective law enforcement is still law enfocement. To make it "targeting," you have to prove that the selection was made with an agenda, and I have yet to see any evidence that the IRS didn't go after Democrat groups *because *they were Democrat groups.

There has been nothing but repeated assertion that this happened, which in the Republican echo chamber is sufficient proof. When I first read that Baudrillard had reportedly said that reality had ceased to exist in the US, that people in the US lived completely inside the media, I thought it was the kind of ridiculously exaggerated thing French philosophers are apt to say. Making allowances for a bit of hyperbole, it now appears that he was right.