[lbo-talk] Fundamentalism and neo-liberalism

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 13 10:22:18 PDT 2013

"Pulling this together, people fight over urbanity because it’s a sort of substitute for equality. In some ways, it’s real equality, as the institutions of the city are often open to all. In others, perhaps more important, it’s potential equality – we can all be the minority, we can all fall into the path of a tube train, the mob is out there."

[WS:] Indeed, cities are equalizing places. One one level, people still take the Metro to work, whether they have white or blue collar jobs. And the rich pay taxes that support public services.

On another level, the fact that you share the same physical space with people of different backgrounds tends to reduce prejudice. I often hear form suburbanites that they are afraid to go to the city and most of that fear is prejudice. I am not saying that city folk cannot be prejudiced but that they are less likely than suburbanites.