[lbo-talk] Spying for profit...

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 14 07:23:31 PDT 2013

[WS:] I do not see how. What I read is that surveillance capacity can go both ways - to devise conspiracies and to expose them. In that respect it is not different from politics, social movements, the media etc. They are mere tools in the game whose outcome depends on power balances and alliances among various inside and outside groups. Sometimes this outcome is "good" (i.e. favorable for interests that we identify with) sometimes it is bad (i.e. unfavorable for those interests).

The static image of the polity thoroughly dominated by monolithic "government" and equally monolithic "capitalist class" - that lies at the foundations of the leftist outcry about spying is a sad testimony of the intellectual poverty of the left though, which has long abandoned the difficult intellectual task of trying to understand its opponents for simple demonization of them.