[lbo-talk] Mankiw and Nozick's Wilt Chamberlain example

Bill Bartlett william7 at aapt.net.au
Fri Jun 21 16:36:27 PDT 2013

On 21/06/2013, at 1:54 PM, ken hanly <northsunm at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Wilt Chamberlain is an extremely popular basketball player in this society, and Nozick further assumes 1 million people are willing to freely give WC 25 cents each to watch him play basketball over the course of a season (we assume no other transactions occur). Wilt now has $250,000, a much larger sum than any of the other people in the society

I don't really understand all the intricacies of basketball, is it a game that can be played by a single player? Isn't it a team sport? and I thought it required at least two teams of player to put on a game? How could this Wilt Chamberlain expect to pocket the entire proceeds of ticket sales over an entire season, with nothing going to any other players from any other teams, let alone no expenses deducted for the myriad costs of supporting staff and infrastructure such as a basketball court to play on?

Our Wilt Chamberlain may be a great basketball player, but this business plan tells us he is the worst businessman ever. So even if he were to miraculously end up with 250k at the end of the season, it is safe to assume that he wouldn't hang on to it for long.

Bill Bartlett Bracknel Tas