[lbo-talk] Secrecy and slavery

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 23 13:36:10 PDT 2013

Joanna: "how much the universal spying going on, transforms everyone into a "slave" having no right to privacy"

[WS:] Trust me, the citizens of the US of A are no slaves, regardless of the amount of spying. Nobody spies on the dwellers of the slums of Nairobi, because nobody gives a flying fuck about them, and that does not transform them into "free people" either.

Furthermore, aristocracy was far removed from privacy (in the bourgeois sense of the word) - every aspect of their lives was very much public (at least according to Foucault). What mattered was not the information others had about them but power they had over other people.

Finally the great majority of people in the US and I suspect elsewhere, go to great lengths to make the information about themselves public. The popularity of shows of the "Judge Judy" kind proves it.

This preoccupation with government spying is a typical American government hatred. I can be totally exhibitionist on TV and social media, but I will be very upset if the government collects any of that information on me me.

How infantile.