[lbo-talk] If you live in the USA, you probably have already committed a felony today

Marv Gandall marvgand2 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 23 15:35:51 PDT 2013

On 2013-06-23, at 2:10 PM, Carrol Cox wrote:

> MG: Too bad Louis P. isn't on this list. He has online access to everything
> written back to biblical times.
>
> There's another reason it's too bad he isn't here; he could demolish your
> nonsensical echo of the traditional babble about the German CP & the triumph
> o fNaziism.

Afraid not, Carrol. I'd be startled if Proyect no longer believes the KPD's adherence to the "third period policy" and refusal to form a united front with the "social fascist" SPD was anything other than a contributing factor to the Nazi conquest of power. But rather than trying to read Louis' mind about this, and hurling gratuitous insults my way, suppose you try to calmly try to persuade us why this now widely-held understanding is "nonsensical, traditional babble". It's not only Trotskyists and social democrats who analyzed the German events within this framework; the Stalinist-led Comintern itself drew that lesson from the catastrophe and, a year after Hitler's accession to power, swiftly and quietly abandoned its ultra-left third period policy in favour of a popular front against fascism with social democratic and liberal parties in Europe and elsewhere.

Here's a primer to get you started:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third_Period