[lbo-talk] Snowden

Gar Lipow gar.lipow at gmail.com
Sun Jun 23 20:29:19 PDT 2013

On Sun, Jun 23, 2013 at 3:55 PM, Wojtek S <wsoko52 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Obviously, nobody supports spying but there is a big difference between
> anti-government diatribes of liberals and lefties and remaining silent on
> the issue. The only people who can possibly gain from anti-government diatribes in this country is businessmen who want dereguation. There is no way on earth that liberals and lefties can gain anything out of this spying brouhaha - nothing, zilch, nada! So why barking at all? It did not come as a surprise to you, did it? An if it does, naive does not even
> start describing it.
>
> It is this infantile kvetching about this pseudo-issue that is getting on my nerves. It is pseudo-issue because all governments have been doing it in one form or another, and everyone knows about it. It is infantile because liberals and leftists think that they will shed their political impotence by throwing a fit.

So how far do you take this analysis? Assassination? Every government on earth does assassination, and everybody knows it. So is objecting to assassination "barking"? What about torture? Or if it is a matter of degree, what about tax breaks for the rich, and forgiving rich people for offense governments jail the working and middle classes for?