[lbo-talk] Graber on consensus

shag carpet bomb shag at cleandraws.com
Sat Mar 2 06:38:43 PST 2013

agreed. although I'd say that, in general, it has been anarchists who've been maintaining activist networks by getting involved in often very local movements, as well as often disparaged protests, who've keep a flame alive for decades. Graeber merely fanned a book near embers by doing what theorists and thinkers should do: he gives clarity to the "struggles and wishes of the age" with a language - already in us, but clarified and documented -- that helps them understand themselves. (This approach to social science is documented in the work of Alan Tourraine as to the role that intellectuals might play in social movements) Sure, Graeber's work is polemical. It damn better be because we get enough mealy-mouthed crap on all sides.

Meanwhile, as I listen to people bitch about the current shithole in the beltway, there's talk of an Occupy-style uprising. That kind of talk wouldn't have gone on among ordinary, non-political, non-activists 5 years ago.