[lbo-talk] Getting a job (was Graeber)

123hop at comcast.net 123hop at comcast.net
Tue Mar 5 09:34:28 PST 2013

"And there is also the public persona projecting the "right mixture" of authority, self-confidence, reliability and entrepreneurship that is necessary to be seriously considered for a faculty position at a top ranking US universities. In other words, applying for academic position is to a large degree a beauty contest, and the "right mixture" of authority, self-confidence, reliability and entrepreneurship is beautiful in the academia. "

Yes, as a successful academic put it to me: "You must be bloated but humble."

Sometimes I am very happy to have left that all behind.

Joanna