[lbo-talk] Getting a job (was Graeber)

123hop at comcast.net 123hop at comcast.net
Tue Mar 5 12:07:42 PST 2013

Depends where you are in private sector.

Writing programming books has actually been very pleasant. I think this is because

1. I'm just a grunt. The assholes bubble up. 2. I mostly work from home. Lots of flexibility. No bosses really. 3. I work with the non-professional generation of programmers. They mostly started as musicians, philosophers, physicists, mathematicians, etc. A motley and interesting bunch. Not so much true for the younger bunch. Still, more intellectual curiosity than I experienced in academia.

Joanna

----- Original Message ----- Joanna: "Sometimes I am very happy to have left that all behind."

[WS:] But what is the alternative? The private sector seems to be filled with assholes even more. At least in the academia you have greater flexibility and fewer bosses breathing in your neck.

-- Wojtek