[lbo-talk] Pynchon (was James Heartfield's Unpatriotic History

123hop at comcast.net 123hop at comcast.net
Wed Mar 6 09:05:29 PST 2013

Thinking through my issues with Pynchon and Delillo, and why I don't think of their work as "great literature"....I've come to the conclusion that it's not so much their individual fault as it is the case that bourgeois forms have become completely exhausted, and they are still working these forms. The bourgeois novel (that transcendental form of homelessness) depends nevertheless upon certain positive relations holding between the individual and society, and these relations collapsed after WWI. After that, within the bourgeois world view, the best you can get are novels of ideas and magical realism.... both degraded forms. Kafka stands alone in the wreckage.

So, taking the bildungs roman, we see the end of that with "Ulysses" or "Mrs Dalloway" or even "Metamorphosis." Taking the historical novel, we see the end of that with, oh, I don't know, "Man Without Qualities."

After the collapse of these bourgeois forms, it's still possible to be Kafka, but it is not possible to be Tolstoy.

The work of RB Traven suggests a shift in the novel (see "Bridge in the Jungle" and "Death Ship") -- a new relationship between writer and reader, but I'm hard put to describe it or to describe what is new/different/interesting about his authorial voice. But the seeds of a future great literature are sown by Traven; not by Pynchon or Delillo.

Orwell tries to write about some of this in an essay called "Inside the Whale." I highly recommend it.

Joanna