[lbo-talk] Graeber

joel schalit jschalit at gmail.com
Wed Mar 13 09:39:11 PDT 2013

I grew up, partially, in the UK, and had the chance to live again London for two of the last five years. I find London especially diverse, in a good way. However, I find the political echelon still highly conservative in racial and ethnic matters, in ways that I never would imagine their American equivalents being. The way multiculturalism is discussed, for example, as well as immigration, is as though it is a white only privilege (to problematize), in a white only country. It can be especially shocking, at times, the sorts of assumptions that are built into the discourse.

As a German resident, I have to agree with Angelus' analysis. Minorities and immigrants are outsiders unless they are explicitly, and voluntarily integrated, with all the problems which inhere in the voluntary element. This is despite the fact that Germany retains an enormous and ongoing appetite for importing foreign labor, including from southern Europe, as well as it's historic dependence on Turkish migrants, in its industrial endeavors. Racist violence, in the last year, in the country, has been horrible. The German example is especially complex.

Best, Joel