[lbo-talk] 40 percent haircut ?

123hop at comcast.net 123hop at comcast.net
Mon Mar 25 10:50:20 PDT 2013

It hits the banking system, mostly small and medium size businesses.

It moves liabilities from Laiki to Bank of Cyprus!?!?!?!

It's not over yet either. I have read accts of losses much greater than 40%.

I saw figures quoted that only 25% of depositors are "oligarchs."

Naked Capitalism has pretty good info on all of this.

Joanna

----- Original Message ----- The percentages to be raised from uninsured deposits of more than 100,000 euros in Laiki bank and in Bank of Cyprus have not yet been announced.

Mr Stylianides said the figure could be "around 30%" for uninsured Bank of Cyprus deposits. Other estimates have put the figure at about 40%.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-21928277

[WS:] It is my understanding that it will hit mostly Russian and UK oligarchs. Not such a bad thing, no?

-- Wojtek