[lbo-talk] Zero Dark Thirty or Twenty...

Chuck Grimes cagrimes42 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 26 11:36:34 PDT 2013

Slow night out here. Long evening ahead, so I rented Zero Dark Thirty on instant video.

I scanned the January LBO listings and opened Taibbi's review. Forget it.

Right away I knew I wasn't going to like the movie with what's her name in the saple-strawberry hair. Who wears a black pants suit to a torture? At least the beefcake doing the dirty was in jeans. I don't know what to say except to remind people the fruits of torture are Abu Ghaib and Lynndie England. You can see from the photos Lynndie England wore a standard issue US Army t-shirt.

Area 51 as the hanger for the stealth choppers? Come on. Then the end, Jessica Chastain gets on the C-130 in a plunging black neckline-something. Typical CIA field gear ... really?

If this is a good example of her work Kathryn Bigelow sucks. Yes by Hollywood standards, something belongs here to justify them. But that doesn't mean it's worth watching unless you have two hours to kill, which was for a very long time all the movies had to do.

It wasn't much of an action flick. It wasn't a spy thriller because it wasn't thrilling. The whole premise of the movie, a tough girl sticks to her guns and wins the big prize is whatever, but not as this particular story.

We've seen more than ten years of dirty war, even if it was all on computers. After those testimonials what is there?

How do you tell this story? Well, you have to start with the idea that UBL was an excuse. He changed from a forgotten excuse to a prime target so Obama could say, I can do The War on Terror. As in some I forget which old science fiction story, UBL was killed for the ratings.

CG