[lbo-talk] Fwd: Progressive Investment

123hop at comcast.net 123hop at comcast.net
Thu Mar 28 10:32:03 PDT 2013

I know this was not your intent, but your letter certainly illustrates the paradox of socially responsible investment. Or do I mean oxymoron.

I can think of two things to do: invest in a green energy portfolio. Do I know of one? No. And I suspect there's as much scamming there as anywhere else.

My own solution is to buy Russian bank bonds and donate some of the gains to worthy causes. They are currently returning about 6%. Russia seems like a good idea because it is actually less risky than the credit agencies allow. So you get more interest for less risk. I might live to eat my words, but it has worked out ok so far. Alfa or Sberbank.

Joanna

----- Original Message ----- I am a NYC public school teacher and I have been a reader of LBO-Talk and the LBO Newsletter for two years. Recently, I have received a considerable inheritance (locked in a trust) that must be invested responsibly and it is proving difficult to invest the money in a progressive manner. Anything I have found that is called "socially responsible" has been a mutual fund including stock in big nasty businesses like Microsoft and IBM and Walmart. I wish to invest in environmental causes, alternative media, social justice, co-operative businesses. low-income communities, etc. It must be invested in either individual stocks or an indexed fund. Could anybody point me in the right direction?