[lbo-talk] Where is the left argument for gun rights?

Arthur Maisel arthurmaisel at gmail.com
Wed May 8 04:51:58 PDT 2013

A couple of recent postings have dismissed issues because they are unimportant or fake. There is a standpoint from which that is true---and I agree, at least up to the point of attributing their existence to "intelligent design"---but it ignores a basic fact of communication: noise.

I understand that the ratio of signal to noise that is akin to entropy in physical systems (and mathematically identical, I gather) occurs on a different level, the level at which all communication is essentially the same. But even considered as merely a metaphor, the "noise" in discourse may not be possible to eliminate entirely and therfore should not be dismissed. It is a real problem to be addressed, not denied.

For instance, there are a lot of real people---some of them with guns---who think that guns are an important issue. To tell them (even holding one's ill-disguised scorn in check) that they are simply wrong is not very persuasive and unlikely to have much impact, is it?